Monday, June 18, 2012

4th Grade Umbrellas

Umbrellas!

One of my favorite projects that I have completed this year with my students was done with my 4th grade class. Everyone loved this project! My students got so many compliments on them.  

In this project, students were able to learn about one point perspective and were exposed to a different viewpoint. Students started off with a blank umbrella shape.  Then they were directed to create a different design in each section of the umbrella with sharpie markers.  Students were then able to color in these sections using crayons and colored pencils as they desired.  Next, I discussed one point perspective with my students. I demonstrated how to create a sidewalk using one point perspective.  We also looked at various pictures that demonstrate one point perspective.  Students were given a piece of paper and used crayons to create their sidewalk.  Students drew a puddle on the bottom of the page and were given the option to add in details like drops of water and grass.  Students went over their sidewalk scene with watercolor paints to create a resist.  At some point while students were working, I took a picture of their legs.  Once the project was complete we constructed the pieces as shown.  I just love how each project features an actual picture of the artist's legs!

What really worked well about this project was that the students loved that they were a part of their artwork. The students had a lot of fun posing as if they were splashing through a puddle.  It got the students up and moving around.  They also did a great job with coming up with unique patterns to fill in the different umbrella sections.  Below is a picture of a handful of the final projects on a bulletin board.  They look so colorful all together!  
4th Grade Umbrellas! 
 Overall, I was very happy with the results of this project and the students loved it too. The only thing I feel didn't work out as well was the fact that my students wear uniforms so most of the students' legs are not distinguishable.  Next time I use this lesson I would definitely have my students bring in whatever shoes, socks, or other leg accessories they would like.  I think that would make the projects even more colorful than they already are.  Plus I think the students would have a lot of fun trying to figure out who is who in each piece.  


1 comment:

  1. a generous share! I'm going to try this out, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete